The aim of the Islands Marketplace is to bring island communities, project developers, technology providers, investors and financiers together to support the implementation of clean energy projects in islands. The Clean energy for EU islands secretariat will facilitate the matchmaking of the interested parties.
Island stakeholders are invited to submit their investment projects. The Clean energy for EU islands secretariat marketplace team will then support islands to get in contact with financial institutions from our Investor Network and technology providers to discuss the technology and financing of the project.
The team of experts will first review the project proposal. If the project matches with the investors/technology providers requirements (maturity level, technology, size of the ticket, location, etc.), we will put in direct contact the different parties for a 1:1 conversation. In case the project requires additional work, the secretariat marketplace team offers guidance on how to improve the content of your project.
Please note that for a project be considered in the EU Islands Marketplace, island stakeholders/ project developers have to provide as much information as possible, in a way that it is clearly understandable and analysable by the secretariat team, as well as by the investors and technology providers. The type of information required is the following:
- Project description (details of your project, relevant background, expected timeline, type of technology, maturity level, etc.)
- Expected impacts (renewable energy production/energy savings, avoided emissions, jobs creation, etc.)
- Financial aspects (investment type, business model, CAPEX, payback time, internal rate of return, etc.)
Why is this for you?
Through the EU Islands Marketplace:
- Island's stakeholders have the possibility develop their projects by connecting with leading clean energy technology providers and front-runners ESG (environmental, social and governance) investors;
- Investors have the opportunity to increase their pipeline of potential investments;
- Technology providers have the opportunity to increase their client list through potential sales of technological solutions.
How to apply?
How to fill out the project intake form:
- Provide as much information as possible. Information is crucial for investors. If there’s not enough, they might think that the project is at a very early stage and refuse investment;
- Clearly state what stage your project is in, so that we can match you with a suitable investor;
- The amount of capital is a piece of important information;
- Make sure to show the impact of the project on the environment or community e.g., by generating jobs or avoiding CO2, this is becoming increasingly important for investors.
Do not be afraid of presenting your projects only because it is a small project or on a small island! We want to bring local and regional players to the table who will be dedicated to investing in these projects. Very small islands can also group together and develop an island spanning project that could increase the investment amount and make it easier to find an investor.
What happens if your project concepts are not ready yet?
Not a problem! The Secretariat will provide you guidance on how to improve the content of the intake. This will ensure that all projects meet the minimum requirements of project maturity.
Please keep in mind that our matchmaking service does not provide any funding support. The technical support is limited to guidance on how to improve your project’s content. Projects selected will be showcased and, when feasible, matched with investors and technology providers.