The NESOI European Islands Facility’s goal is to unlock the potential of EU islands to become the locomotives of European Energy Transition by mobilising more than 100 M€ of investment in sustainable energy projects to an audience of 2.400 inhabited EU islands and give the opportunity to test innovative energy technologies and approaches in a cost-competitive way.
In short, the NESOI European Island Facility has three key objectives:
- Promote investments for energy transition in the islands
- Facilitate the decentralization of energy systems
- Contribute to EU policies and the achievement of 2030 targets
The NESOI Facility works in close contact with the Clean energy for EU islands secretariat - created to facilitate the clean energy transition on EU islands from the bottom up; and bringing it one step forward by providing to islands training, technical support, cooperation opportunities and robust funding opportunities to concretely convert Island Sustainable Energy Action Plans into Renewable Energy Sources (RES) plants, building and energy infrastructure retrofitting, energy bills reduction, local job creation and more
To achieve this, NESOI is in the process of building a platform able not only to provide first-step funding for islands energy transitions plans, but also a one-stop-shop for islands where to find ideas and effective organisational, technical and financial instruments for the whole value chain of a project.
- € 100 / mln of investments activated
- 440 GWh / year primary energy savings
- 160,000 ktCO2 / year of GHG avoided
Who can apply
- Any public and private legal entity established in EU Member States (Outermost Regions are eligible, Overseas Countries and Territories are not)
- Both single entities and consortia can apply for support