Skip to main content
European Commission logo
Clean energy for EU islands

ELENA – European Local ENergy Assistance

Finance Objective(s)

Energy efficiency in buildings
Energy efficient transport
Renewable energies
Energy Transition Strategy / Decarbonisation Plan
Project development


ELENA provides technical assistance for energy efficiency and renewable energy investments targeting buildings and innovative urban transport.

Who can apply

  • Public and private project promoters such as local, regional or national authorities
  • Transport authorities and operators
  • Social housing operators
  • Other companies (e.g. estate managers, retail chains, energy service companies).

Investment threshold

Normally, the amount of the investment programme must be above EUR 30 million. The ELENA grant amount can cover up to 90% of the total eligible costs, and the Final Beneficiary must fund the remaining 10% of the eligible costs.